Job Title: Communications Officer, IW2 Informational Writer 2;
Nature of Job: Regular/full-time
Location: Winnipeg MB
Advertisement Number: 33687
Salary: IW2 $55,264 – $66,290
Closing Date: January 26, 2018
Elections Manitoba is the independent office of the Legislative Assembly responsible for the free and fair conduct of all provincial elections and the regulation of political financing. The mandate of the office includes public education and information programs to make the electoral process better known to Manitobans and especially those groups most likely to experience difficulties in exercising their democratic rights.
Job Opening: Elections Manitoba is seeking a self-motivated and proactive individual to join our team as a Communications Officer. Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Public Information, the Communications Officer plays a key role in supporting the public communications activities related to the Manitoba Voter Register and other public activities of Elections Manitoba.
Conditions of Employment:
- The incumbent must be, and remain, politically non-partisan in both perception and fact
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A degree or diploma in communications or communications-related field with experience working in digital communications and/or an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Strong and demonstrated written communication skills, including expertise in writing, reviewing and editing documents for diverse audiences.
- Experience with MS Office suite, and with using Adobe Creative Suite products (i.e. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) to produce camera-ready materials, including graphic design and layouts.
- Experience developing and delivering content for websites, professional social media accounts and other digital platforms.
- Experience with website design/development tools (i.e. WordPress Jumla, Wix) or other web-building applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Experience in preparing and/or making presentations to various audiences.
- Experience supervising a team.
- Outreach experience to various communities/audiences.
- Experience developing effective training materials.
- French language skills.
- The Communications Officer’s primary responsibility is to support and promote voter registration and public participation in elections through developing a variety of communication tools.
- This includes creation and delivery of content for Elections Manitoba’s public websites and social media accounts, research, writing and editing of articles and other materials for internal and external communications, and supporting the development and implementation of public awareness and outreach programs.
- Other responsibilities include identifying opportunities to promote and inform the public about education programs, electoral participation and voter registration.
- During a general election period, the Communications Officer will staff and supervise a six-to-eight person call centre to respond to public inquiries. The Communications Officer will also provide general administrative support to the Manager of Communications and Public Relations.
Competitive Process: The competition will include in addition to a board interview(s), a comprehensive written assessment.
Advertisement No. 33687
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3R6
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their cover letter or resumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities or persons with disabilities.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.