Specialist, Marketing & Communications
Manitoba & Saskatchewan Divisions
Canada has the highest rate of multiple sclerosis in the world, with 100,000 Canadians living with MS. The Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada is the country’s MS advocate, funding leading research in MS and programs & services that help people live well with the disease.
This is a great entry level position to the organization with the opportunity to work on both local and nationwide initiatives. Based in Winnipeg, the Specialist is accountable for the development, implementation, evaluation and maintenance of an internal and external communications program, including media relations, to raise public awareness and enhance the profile of the MS Society. The Specialist implements the communications strategy, support and service for staff and board working closely with the national marketing and communications team to deliver consistent voice and brand for the MS Society of Canada, Manitoba and Saskatchewan Divisions.
The successful incumbent will be required to complete a criminal background and driver’s abstract check as a condition of hire.
- Manages promotion of national initiatives, working closely with divisional counterparts across Canada on national initiatives
- Manages provincial media (in MB only), including 2 chaptered regions cultivating relationships and working closely with reporters and journalists on information pieces and features to inform the public and promote the organization.
- Creates, manages and delivers all division PR activities and materials for events/workshops/announcements including press releases, special events, interviews, research news and press kits and develops notes/scripts for key representatives
- Identifies/facilitates media interviews/speaking/display opportunities to build profile
- Manages and updates content for division related information as well as ongoing maintenance of Division websites
- Works with the fundraising, program and services, and government relations teams to plan a cohesive social media strategy for promotion of fundraising events, advocacy work, and volunteer recruitment/retention (e.g. posting regular participant profiles, running hashtag campaigns, posting updates on registration incentives, etc.)
- Implements the division communications plan with a focus on external and internal communications with members, staff, volunteers, donors, media and affiliated agencies that support the mission of the Society
- Advises staff and volunteers on external communications, marketing and media relations initiatives to ensure consistent messaging and branding (for activities such as MS Awareness Month)
- Coordinates and produces newsletter content, press releases, media advisories and other external communications such as member e-news
- Creates accurate, clear specifications for print and other designed products, works with suppliers to negotiate the most favorable pricing and timelines for delivery
- Leads the development of division communications materials and distribution of same (including the annual impact report, member communications, Division brochures, etc.)
- A university degree or college diploma with at least 3 years’ progressive experience in a service organization, preferably in a not-for-profit or charitable environment or the equivalent education and experience.
- A broad range of experience in various branding, communications and marketing methods is required
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Effective time and task management skills. Able to prioritize multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and build relationships with internal and external constituents by telephone and face-to-face
- Actively engaged in social media and expertise in new social media vehicles
- Demonstrated experience in developing media relationships and coordinating media relations events
- Ability to think creatively, initiate and deliver projects and work with a team
- Possess an eye for design with the ability to translate concepts into visual representations
- Detail and process oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Outlook and multiple applications of design software
- Strong knowledge of the print production process
- This position may require travel in Manitoba, to national meetings and other conferences and meetings
- Occasional evening or weekend work will be required
Location: Winnipeg, MB
We are working on a world free of MS, where improving people’s quality of life is a part of our everyday life. If you too are passionate about our mission, we invite your expression of interest and resume submission, including salary expectations by September 28, 2016, to:
President, Manitoba & Saskatchewan Divisions
Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
Please note: applicants must state salary expectations in order to be considered.
The MS Society has a bold vision for the future. We have a team of dedicated professionals who share a common goal to end MS and to improve the lives of those affected by MS. We strive to be an employer of choice and provide a working environment that values diversity, team work, and professional development.
The MS Society of Canada embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. We appreciate your interest and will contact you if a meeting is required.
More information about the MS Society is available at www.mssociety.ca