Time commitment: Approximately 5 hours per week with lighter hours during summer
Term length: 2 – 3 years total
Succession: Automatic transition to the role of President, followed by a one-year term as Past President.
The Vice President is a key member of the IABC Manitoba executive team. Executive team members begin their volunteer journey as Vice President for one year, before ascending to the role of President, and then Past President.
The Vice President year offers candidates on-the-job-training and management experience assisting with organization and delegation, to prepare for the President year. Part of that experience is the rare opportunity given to the Vice President to forge strong relationships with communicators across western Canada and build a network of peers who will assume the role of President for their respective IABC chapters. This is one of few opportunities in Manitoba to raise your public profile as a local communications professional and sharpen leadership skills you may not have yet in your day job.
What you’ll do
- Represent IABC Manitoba at Canada West Region meetings, votes on region issues, and shares regional news and requests with the Manitoba Board of Directors. Regional meetings are held monthly (online) and annually (in person).
- Act as secondary leader of the chapter – Leads board activities as requested by President or in President’s absence, recruits volunteers, provides counsel and support to President. Reviews and updates board job descriptions and by-laws as required.
- Assists in the recruitment of committee members and chapter leaders.
- Attend meetings (e.g., board meetings) in person and online.
- Act as board buddy to fellow members of Board of Directors, providing guidance and recommendations.
- Participate in online community for collaboration with fellow board members.
- Leadership (including team building, coaching, mentoring and/or motivating)
- Volunteer recruitment
- Project management
- Strategic planning
- Fiscal management
- Professional communications
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your LinkedIn profile and a paragraph of why you’re interested, or your resume.