Vice President, International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) – Manitoba Chapter
Term: June 2019 to June 2020
Application deadline: Monday midnight, January 14, 2019
IABC Manitoba is seeking a dynamic leader who can work in a team setting to help guide our Chapter.
The Vice-President position is a year of on-the-job-training for the upcoming position as Chapter President. This role serves as an opportunity to work with the President to organize and lead a volunteer team to meet the Chapter’s strategic goals and support IABC regional and national priorities. This is a 12-month term but requires a three-year commitment (Vice- President, President, and Past-President).
Being part of this board or other working boards is considered an asset to this position. Further skills are described below.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Secondary spokesperson and community representative – Serves as backup representative to the broader community regarding the chapter, accreditation and the association. Attends other events in absence of President (e.g., PD events).
- Secondary liaison to the region and international leadership and staff – Attends regional meetings, voting on region issues, backup to the president. Meetings include monthly (phone) and bi-annual (in person) meetings with Canada Western Region. Attends Leadership Institute and Dare to Lead.
- The secondary leader of the chapter – Leads board activities as requested by president or in president’s absence, recruits volunteers for committees, provides counsel and support to the president. Reviews and updates board job descriptions and by-laws as required. Assists president. Supports Director of Finance with financial year-end reconciliation
- Serves on Nominating Committee – Assists in the recruitment and election of committee members and chapter leaders.
- Succession planning– Arrange orientation and strategic planning sessions for the upcoming board transition. Coordinates leadership development activities for board members.
- Leader and promoter for the Chapter – Works with board members and volunteers to optimize organization’s performance. Acts as an IABC Champion to members, as well as potential members, partners, and sponsors.
- Directs Chapter research and evaluation (e.g., annual membership survey and mid-year review). Helps prepare entries for IABC Chapter Management Awards (CMA). Oversee special projects, if required.
- Attend meetings (e.g., monthly board meetings), as well as 80% professional development sessions and 100% chapter mixers.
- Trains Successor
- Leadership, coaching, mentoring and motivating
- Volunteer recruitment and management
- Project management
- Team building
- Fiscal management
- Strategic planning
Please complete the following and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight, Monday, January 14, 2019.
The application requires the completion of the following questions plus a resume and letter targeted to this position.
1) Why would you like to be the Vice President of IABC Manitoba? What do you hope to achieve during this term? (max 300 words).
2) IABC Manitoba requires a Vice President who is a strong leader who can help us achieve our Chapter’s strategic goals of member engagement, brand awareness, and revenue generation. Could you describe your leadership skills and experience (volunteer and/or paid) that will be beneficial in leading volunteers in this team setting? (max 500 words).
3) The position requires the Vice President to carry out approximately 20-40 hours of work each month (depending on the month) and attend the majority of our events. Will you be able to achieve this?
Contact Marjorie Huculak, Vice President, IABC Manitoba Chapter at 204-848-0063 (call or text) or email@example.com